Thursday, August 23, 2012

Minty Fresh Challenge in the Moxie Fab World



Wow! Mint Green has come a long way since my Great Grandma's dishes! The inspirational photos that Cath posted have definitely catapulted this color onto my "Trendy Color List".

Now, what needs to be said about this watch.......

Exactly!  The gold/mint green combination is elegant, clean & fresh and timeless (pun intended).  I used the face of the watch as my inspiration for the card.  I placed the circles around one of the larger circles to imitate the face of the watch.

I used several different bits and pieces of stamps for the patterned circles,  It was quite a challenge trying to maintain the somewhat graphic design element when the majority of my stamps are either too flowery, too juvenile or too swirly!

I stamped the designs using Tsukineko Encore Metallic Gold ink, and quickly sprinkled on a light dusting of gold embossing powder, then heat embossed.  I tried using Versamark but the impression was a bit too 'heavy' for some of the patterns.  The circles were then matted with a shiny gold metallic paper!

The gold pearls were also embossed.

Tip:  I used wee pop-up glue dots (smaller than the base of the pearl) to adhere the pearls to the back of an old plastic cutting board.  I used my Versamarker to coat the top and sides of the pearls.  Popping up the pearls on pop dots makes it easy to get the marker and powder down to the bottom of the pearl (no struggling with tweezers either).  The excess embossing powder then falls right off and you are left with a nice clean edge.  The embossing powder did stick to the cutting board but does clean off relatively easy.

Tip Two:  Speaking of shiny, metallic paper.....5,000,000 photos later, I decided that perhaps I should google a solution to keep the metallic paper from reflecting everything in it's path.  Simple solution - hold a light colored piece of paper in front of the card while it is being photographed to avoid the reflective paper picking up everything from the sofa to the living room window!

Want to play along with this cool color challenge?  Head on over to the The Minty Fresh Challenge at the Moxie Fab World, check out the sweet photos that Cath has posted for our browsing pleasure and then link up your project.  Hurry though, cuz the deadline is September 3rd!

Happy crafting!

4 comments:

  1. This is stunning! Gold and mint combined? I love it! The layout is perfect too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Geri - this is just gorgeous! Love the gold with the mint (I never thought I would say that since I thought it would remind me of the old Estee Lauder packaging back when my Nana (from Winnipeg) was wearing too much Youth Dew, but I digress...). This is the perfect mixture of elegance and funkiness - LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love your inspiration from that too-cool-watch and the final product. And good tip about reducing reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Geri! Thanks for linking this up to the Minty Fresh Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete